My thoughts run free here...

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Drosophila!!

The drosophila genetics lab was really informative and exciting, highlighting on a lot of information on clinical research methodology. I have put here some pictures of the drosophila flies. The one with a lot of flies is the one with the wildtype genome. The other is a mutant, which has curly vestigal wings. I got to see mutant flies with wrinkled wings, dumpy wings and so on. The male and female flies were also clearly spotted. The male is usually small and has only three black stripes at the tips. Whereas the female is larger and has more than three black stripes. Pretty interesting characteristics! And the flies are not dead here, they were only paralyzed. I hope the process was reversible! Gosh, so poor things... They look so cute under the microscope. But the hairy body looks so gross!





My attempt at becoming a vegetarian is turning out to be successful! So far, its only been less than a week, but I'm already feeling its not so difficult afterall. I now feel really happy at being a vegetarian and showing my love towards animals, I don't feel guilty anymore. I guess it only works when you really feel for it. I love animals but I'm not showing this in action, in my everyday life. I'm being a contradiction onto myself if I am a non-vegetarian.
But at the same time, I should ensure that I don't feel a complex and look down on people eating meat. This is bad, and I feel most of the vegetarians are like this. There will be a time in some people's lives when they realise and become aware of the cruelty they indirectly inflict on animals, just for the sake of those few seconds of taste.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

© My Santuary, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena