My thoughts run free here...

Friday, January 5, 2007

My new job as an intern

I've been quite busy with my new job as an intern in the Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IMCB) for the past few days this week. I joined on the 3rd of January. My friends have also embarked on a journey into adulthood. Alas, bye bye for the thought "this is the end of school/education." It's taken me a while to realise that this is just the end of the beginning.

My job seems pretty easy at the first glance. I have to extract mouse DNA, purify it, run PCR and then run gel electrophoresis to determine the genotype of the mouse. But one single mistake anywhere in the process, i have to repeat some of the experiments again. Furthermore, there will usually be 5 to 20 replicates. So it takes some time to complete the process step-by-step for each replicate. That is the only tedious part. And there is also the waiting time for the PCR to complete. It takes around 2 hours and 30 minutes.

I really hope that this experience pays me off. I would like to embark on a career in research. There are 2 Indian women in he lab that i work. They seem to be doing their PhD. I'm not exactly sure about this. But they really encourage me to be like them. No matter what degree i take, i want to do a PhD. That will be my ambition.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's sounds like a really interesting start as an intern! I'm really excited for you Priya. I think soon you'll be moving onto bigger stuff. =D

Priya said...

Thanks logi. It's been a long time since i've heard from you. I'm quite busy and i hardly have the mood to update my blog nowadays. But i'll do it. Bye for now. Take care:)

Powered by Blogger.

© My Santuary, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena